Kick-off Workshop: Phase-Out Lead in Paint and Paint Reformulation Technical Guidelines Workshop held back-to-back for 2 (two) days at the Manhattan Hotel in Jakarta, Indonesia on 29-30 January 2020. This workshop is part of the project “Global best practices on emerging chemicals policy issues of concern under the Strategic Approach to International Chemicals Management (SAICM) Component 1: Promoting regulatory and voluntary action by government and industry to phase out lead in paint” by United Nations Environment (UN Environment), Global Environment Facility (GEF), The Strategic Approach to International Chemicals Management (SAICM) and the International Pollutants Elimination Network (IPEN).
Workshop objectives include:
- Raising awareness of developments in lead paint removal at the national level;
- Increase understanding of the impact of lead compound labor on health and the economy;
- Present the global and national status of lead paint;
- Presenting and discussing the draft manual for paint reformulation technical guidelines prepared by the Serbian National Cleaner Production Center (NCPC) and which will be pilot tested in selected SMEs through Nexus3/IPEN with the support of related parties;
- Linking international, national and local activities for lead paint removal;
- Provide an understanding that removal of lead paint is possible and that the project will support participants in making this happen;
- Facilitate discussions on issues related to manufacturing, import, export and regulation of paints.