The Basel Convention on the Control of Transboundary Movements of Hazardous Waste and their Disposal in Article 14 requires the establishment of Regional Centers for Training and Technology Transfer (BCRC). Furthermore, the Decision III/19 at Conference of the Parties (COP) III in 1995 selected Indonesia to host one of BCRCs. The Government of the Republic of Indonesia then signed the Framework Agreement on BCRC for Southeast Asia (BCRC-SEA) with the Secretariat of the Basel Convention (SBC) on 29 October 2004 in Geneva, Switzerland. The Framework Agreement was later endorsed by Presidential Regulation No. 60/2005 on 12 October 2005 and it has since been amended twice for extension until 2029.
At the sixth meeting of the Conference of the Parties of the Stockholm Convention (COP-6) in 2013, BCRC-SEA was endorsed as one of the Stockholm Convention Regional Centre (SCRC) and the mandate has been extended until 2023 by decision of COP-9 of the Stockholm Convention in 2019.
BCRC-SEA & SCRC Indonesia is supported by 10 countries: Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Myanmar, Indonesia, Singapore, Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam.
Framework Agreement between the Government of Indonesia and the Secretariat of the Basel Convention was extended until 2029
1. Director : Mr. Anton Purnomo, S.T., M.Sc., Ph.D
2. Executive Secretary : Ms. Cynthia Indriani, S.T.
3. Technical Staff 1 : Mr. Erlangga Hassan, M.Sc.
4. Technical Staff 2 : Mr. R.R. Bramansyah, S.Sos, M.Si.
5. Financial and Administrative Staff : Ms. Fitriyana Lafifa
6. Administrative Staff : Ms. Sita Anggraeni, S.Sos
National/International Experts Engaged
- Dra. Masnellyarti Hilman, M.Sc.
- Dadan Wardhana H.S
- Yulisa, S.T.
- Ir. Hari Rom Hariyadi, M. Phil
- Dr. Carl Renan Estrellan
- Dr. Sri Wahyono, M.Sc
- Prof. Yayat Dhahiyat, Ph.D.
- Prof. Suminar Setiati Achmadi, Ph.D
- Prof. Dadang, Ph.D
- Agus Sudaryanto, Ph.D
- Dr. Muhammad Ilyas
- Dr. Budi Haryanto, Ph.D
- Ir. Ario Tranggono
- Dr. Ihsan Iswaldi
- Ahmad Shoiful, S.T., M.Agr
- Prof. Juli Soemirat
- Severine Cattin
- Prof. Dr. Ir. Enri Damanhuri
- Dr. Sukandar
- Saeed Ahmed
VISION & MISSION
To be a reliable and effective facilitator for the environmentally sound management of hazardous waste under the Basel Convention to the Basel Convention Parties within the region.
Provide services for implementation of the Basel Convention to the Parties / South East Asia Countries.
BCRC-SEA’S MISION OBJECTIVES
- Develop and conduct training programs, workshops, seminars and associated projects in the field of the environmentally sound management of hazardous wastes, transfer of environmentally sound technology and minimization of the generation of hazardous wastes with specific emphasis on training the trainers and the promotion of ratification and implementation of the Basel Convention and its instruments
- Identifying, developing and strengthening mechanisms for the transfer of technology in the field of the environmentally sound management of hazardous wastes or their minimization in the region
- Gather, asses and disseminate information in the field of hazardous wastes and other wastes to Parties of the region and to the Secretariat
- Collect information on new or proven environmentally sound technologies and know how relating to environmentally sound management and minimization of the generation of hazardous wastes and other wastes and disseminating these to Parties of the region at their request
- Establishing and maintaining regular exchange of information relevant to the provisions of the Basel Convention, and networking at the national and regional levels
- Organizing meetings, symposiums and missions in the field, useful for carrying out these objectives in the region
- Providing assistance and advise to the Parties and non Parties of the region at their request on matters relevant to the environmentally sound management or minimization of hazardous wastes, the implementation of the provisions of the Basel Convention and other related matters
- Promoting public awareness
- Encouraging the best approaches, practices and methodologies for the environmentally sound management and minimization of the generation of hazardous wastes and other wastes, e.g. through case studies and pilot projects
- Cooperate with UN and its bodies, in particular UNEP and the Specialized Agencies, and with other relevant intergovernmental organizations, industry and non governmental organizations, and, where appropriate, with any institution, in order to coordinate activities and develop and implement joint projects related to the provisions of the Basel Convention and develop synergies where appropriate with other multilateral environmental agreements
- Developing, within the general financial strategy approved by the Parties, the Center’s own strategy for financial sustainability
- Cooperating in mobilization of human, financial and material means in order to meet the urgent needs at the request of the Party(ies) of the region faced with incidents or accidents which cannot be solved with the means of the individual Party(ies) concerned
- Performing any other functions assigned to it by relevant decisions of the Conference of the Parties of the Basel Convention or by Parties of the region, consistent with such decisions
- Technology Transfer
- Awareness Raising