Workshop on the Environmentally Sound Management of Plastic Wastes and the prevention of marine litter and plastic pollution was held on 19-21 June 2019 in Jakarta, Indonesia. It was conducted back-to-back with Training workshop on integrating a gender perspective in the sound management of chemicals and waste on 18 June 2019.
The workshop is organized by the Secretariat of the Basel, Rotterdam and Stockholm Conventions with the support and contribution of the Basel and Stockholm Conventions Regional Centre for South-East Asia in Indonesia and funded by the kind contribution of Sweden.
The global workshop aims at:
- Raising awareness of marine plastic litter and microplastics;
- Sharing best practices on the Environmentally Sound Management (ESM) of plastic wastes, including their final disposal;
- Sharing information on existing national policy schemes and legislation or regulation for the prevention of marine plastic litter and microplastics;
- Sharing available tools to develop plastic wastes inventories;
- Sharing experience in the preparation of ESM strategies from prevention to final disposal of plastic wastes;
- Raising awareness of plastic wastes obligations under the Basel Convention in synergy with other Conventions.